Scottish – Canadian Medical Programme
An exciting programme is available which allows Canadian applicants wishing to practise medicine in Canada to study medicine at two of Scotland’s oldest and most prestigious universities.
Students will gain a BSc (Honours) Medicine from the University of St Andrews and from the University of Edinburgh students will graduate as Bachelors of Medicine and Surgery (MB ChB); a UK qualification equivalent to the MD degree.
Whilst studying at Edinburgh Medical School, students will spend time on attachment to the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry (FoMD) at the University of Alberta.
The Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry at the University of Alberta in Edmonton has a history of success in world-class research, education and patient care. Established in 1913, it is now home to 20 departments, seven divisions, and many research groups, centres and institutes.
Today, the Faculty is one of Canada’s premier health sciences institutes and known internationally for its innovative medical education programmes and for advancing medical knowledge through scientific research. With more than 50 residency programmes, students are offered an abundant diversity of choices.
Attachment to the FoMD, University of Alberta
As part of the A990 programme (St Andrews/Edinburgh/Alberta programme) students will spend 16 weeks attached to the FoMD at the University of Alberta, Edmonton during the later stages of their MB ChB training. It is anticipated that the attachment will include:
- An extended period of clinical training in disciplines expected to enhance the students’ learning
- An enhanced orientation to the Canadian healthcare system
- An opportunity to train for the MCCEE / MCCQE
- Further guidance on the process of application for a residency place enhancing the learning previously delivered in Scotland
Following graduation, students will be eligible for residency training programmes in Canada.
- For information about application to courses at the University, including Medicine contact: email@example.com
- For specific advice about studying Medicine: firstname.lastname@example.org
Further details are available in the School of Medicine’s online prospectus:
- All applicants must sit the UKCAT
- All applicants must be able to offer other Qualities and Experience
- See also Minimum Academic Requirements for information about the required Canadian qualifications
- Applicants can only apply for one programme, i.e. A990 or A100, not both. See Undergraduate Medicine: Course Pathways for information.