Mr Henry Rae
Senior Teaching Technician
I am a Registered Scientific Technician (RSciTech) and a winner of the Outstanding STEM Technician.
I came to the University of St Andrews in 1993, having formerly worked in industry as a workforce supervisor, which involved being responsible for the smooth running of the workforce, including staff training, discipline, quality control and logistics.
At the School of Medicine, I support medical teaching in the Multi Purpose Laboratory (MPL) in any way necessary. I am the Lead First Aider for the School of Medicine.
I am the Fire Officer for the Building and Deputy Security Officer. I am also responsible for all room keys in the building, the Medical School locker keys, all furniture and telephones.
I am an instructor and Medical Director for Heart Start and a Health and Safety Executive (HSE) First Aid Instructor. I train university staff in Emergency Life Saving and AED.
I am a member of the Higher Education Technicians Education and Development (HEaTED) organisation. I am also a course provider for HEaTED providing a Cold Castings course and Skeletal Articulation course.
I carry out work as a University Bank Worker and am employed by many departments. I mainly manufacture exhibits and props for exhibitions and research.
I have been trained in the following courses:-
- As a Health and Safety Executive (HSE) “First Aid instructor”.
- As an “Automatic External Defibrillator” (AED) instructor for Heart Start.
- “Train the Technical Trainer” Glasgow University.
- “Immediate Life Support” Victoria Hospital Kirkcaldy.
- “Sim Man Hi Fidelity simulator” Ninewells Hospital.
- “Sim Man, Advanced Simulation” Victoria Hospital Kirkcaldy.
- “Catheterisation” the University of St. Andrews.
- “Venepuncture & Cannulation” Victoria Hospital Kirkcaldy.
- “Hypodermic & Subcutaneous Infusion” Victoria Hospital Kirkcaldy.
- “Blood Pressure” Victoria Hospital Kirkcaldy.
- “Blood Glucose Monitoring” Victoria Hospital Kirkcaldy.
- “Temperature Pulse and Respiration” Victoria Hospital Kirkcaldy.
- “Fluid Preservation” for Museum Collections.
- “Wax Model Conservation” National Museums of Scotland
- “Cold Casting” Glasgow College of Building and Printing.
- “Electrical Testing” Perth College held at the University of St. Andrews.
I have demonstrated to, or trained, staff, students and school pupils in a diverse range of subjects, including:
- Tropical Rainforest ecology in Central America
- Automatic External Defibrillation
- Dynamic Lung Function
- First Aid
- Visual acuity
- Renal analysis
- Blood pressure
- Blood glucose
- Subcutaneous injection
- Sim Man scenarios
- Technician for the Multi Purpose Medical Science lab
- Technical Advisor
- Fire Officer.
data source: symbiosis